Starting a New Business

Planning on starting a business in Milton-Freewater?  The steps below will help guide you in the process.

Depending on your business, you may need additional permits, licenses, or inspections before opening your doors. Here are some helpful resources as you get started:

Zoning - It is important that the type of business you would like to operate matches the zoning for your site. Different zones allow different types of business and you don’t want to sign a lease in a zone that doesn’t allow you to operate. To view the zoning map, put your cursor over City Information and click on Forms and Applications. Scroll down to Planning Forms. For more information, contact the Planning Department at 541-938-8234. 

Business License - All businesses need a Business License prior to locating and opening for business in Milton-Freewater.  This license is for new or existing businesses that are seeking to locate (or relocate) in a business space that was previously used in a similar manner; such as an office business moving into a space that was previously occupied by another business use. Please see the Supporting Documents below.

Signage - Planning Department staff will be happy to assist you in determining your signage needs. You may also reference the Sign Code (10-7-1) in the City code.

Utilities - Contact the City of Milton-Freewater Utilities Department for information about services and rates at 541-938-5531 or visit Utilities. 

City Codes - View the Milton-Freeewater City Code for further information.

Click here for City Code: 

Liquor licensing - Contact the Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) if you wish to provide sell alcohol in your business. Call 541-276-7841   for more information.